Monday, March 9, 2009

Fly Pattern Encyclopedia

Federation of Fly Fishers, Fly Pattern Encyclopedia Federation of Fly Fishers, Fly Pattern Encyclopedia by Al Beatty


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars

This one's just not for me. There are some beautiful flies in here, but they're usually too complicated for my skills (and more complicated than what's necessary to catch fish). Between the complexity of the patterns and the use of unusual materials, it's not one I'll actually be using.

I'd also be interested to see some info on how/when to fish some of these flies. The backwards woolly bugger, for example -- when does this outfish the original? Some information like that, even if it meant the inclusion of fewer patterns, would have been great.

It's a book for fly tyers more than fly fishers. Good at what it is, but not for me.


View all my reviews.

No comments: