Wednesday, May 20, 2009

First Trout!

About a week and a half ago, we got the kids back out fishing, this time with my mom and stepdad. I brought along some circle hooks (more on that in my next post), as much for an experiment as for anything else. In the length of time it took Ava to get to the potty and back, I was convinced they'd help her catch fish, so I tied one on for her (the idea being that she wouldn't have to set the hook).

A short time later, she's reeling frantically, and I catch just a flash of silver, enough to tell that it's something elongated. She reels it in, and it's this:



Ava's first trout! And a brookie no, less (significant only for being my favorite kind). A fish is a fish to Ava, of course, but I'm pretty excited by it. The whole event was overshadowed by worms and a picnic and some playground activity, but that's probably as it should be.

No comments: